Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My strong one.

Somewhere in the background my newly turned four-year-old is loudly munching the insides of apple slices and leaving the peels on the table. Every now and then the sound of crunching is punctuated by a question, which I hastily answer before I encourage him to go back to entertaining himself without my help. His brother is upstairs napping, but sleep didn't find him today, which means I have to be creative in order to get the afternoon break I need.


These past few months have felt absolutely revelatory to me as far as discerning my sweet boy's personality type and getting a feel for who he is. I love watching him grow. The differences between us both delight me and exasperate me. He's watchful, strong, vocal, and engaging. With every year that passes, his cherubic face gets less baby-esque, and I get to see glimpses of the man he will become some day. I puzzle over how his tender face will become rugged and masculine, and next thing I know I'm imagining him as a balding middle aged man and I don't want to imagine any further.

There's no telling what the future holds, but one thing I feel for certain: whatever this child chooses to do with his life when he grows up, he will be a force. This world will be a different place because of him. And oh, I pray for the wisdom to steward these small years well.

8 comments:

  1. how are sisters and aunties like me supposed to find you when you change your url suddenly? eh???? but I found you! I'm glad to see you're still blogging! wanna come plan a shower with me? it's funner with a sister friend. I love the pictures of the boys and your words. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Weez, I forgot you weren't on social media! I tried notifying everyone I could think of but now I see the error of my ways. :P I'm glad you found me! I love being found by you!!! And wouldn't it be lovely to plan a shower together.... I've been thinking about you and missing you and wishing we could do things together. Life is funner with a sister friend. How can we make this happen?!?!

      Delete
    2. Prayer! and... is Dootie making a Vitas face in that last shot?

      Delete
    3. Good plan. Um, yeah, of course. Haha.

      Delete
  2. I think that it is so cool to watch little children growing up and developing their own unique personalities even from very young ages! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete