Friday, July 5, 2013

Our Fourthy Fun

I love long summer days. Yesterday we didn't get out of the house until almost eight o'clock (all the pictures below were taken after then) and we still had time for a good park visit. The boys played in the park fountains and had oodles of fun.


There was a sign on one of the posts that called for ushing. The boys didn't seem interested.


There was also the usual injury, but Chris had it under control so I kept taking pictures...



When the boys had their fill of scraped knees and chattering teeth, we changed their clothes and took them on a walk around the park.



Someone felt a little left behind.


I had the decency to pick him up even though he walked right past me. 

I love Dootle's expression here. And no, that's not a baby bump under my shirt. Just a mummy tummy.

Mid-walk we were attacked by hordes of mosquitoes, the likes of which I don't remember ever being attacked by before. So we cut our walk short and ran to the car. Dootle's hat flew off and he cried, even after it was returned to his head. The lateness of the day seemed to yield more meltdowns than usual.

After the park we had a snack break at McDonalds where we happily ate chicken paste and red food coloring, then we drove around and found a nice grassy knoll to sit on and wait for fireworks.


The fireworks fired away while we sat on our blanket amidst other onlookers. Dootle asked me when the show was going to start, and I told him we were in the thick of it. Then Finkle said he had to go poopoo. There was no coercing him to go poopoo in the grass surrounded by firework-beholding-strangers, he had to have his potty. And so we packed up and left. I think we'd all had our fill of fireworks, anyway.

The boys fell asleep on the way way home, and I went to sleep a tired, blessed mama.

How did you celebrate Independence Day?

12 comments:

  1. Well, I sure didn't have as much fun as y'all did!! Let's see...how did I celebrate? Well, for starters, although the whole country thinks they're celebrating Independence Day, they're actually celebrating the birth of one of the most awesome ladies ever born...Auntie Sheryl-bean McCracken Sauce! Yes, now you know. So we did the birthday thing, and ate popcorn and watched Bertie Brits!!!! Actually, I may have had as much fun as you.
    I loved the photos...loved, loved, loved them. The boys are growing up. Dootle's little face is changing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are all darling! And we managed a picture of the back of yo husband's head, too! I love you!!!! Thank you for posting pictures and giving us tidbits!!

    ~l'moi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you! My pleasure! I wanna see tidbits of your life! Join instagram! Now!

      Delete
  3. You take gorgeous pictures! And, your children are adorable. Glad you had a fun day, except for the mosquitoes and hat incident.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! And thanks again, although I can't really take credit for their adorability. ;)

      Delete
  4. Love it! Sounds like u guys had a blast! Love and miss u all. Love-stephie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mosquitoes? You haven't seen anything 'til you've experienced Alaskan skeetoes. They're so big you have to watch your car to make sure they don't cart it off. While I worked at logging, I was swathed from head to toe in Insect Shield clothing, plus bug spray and a No See Ums veil, and the stinkers still got me. However, the dragonflies were large and very happy--well fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I haven't! Their such little terrors! I watched a documentary on life in Siberia, and they showed absolute clouds of mosquitoes harassing people while they went about their day. Scary.

      Delete
  6. Your boys are so cute! And I love that little hat your oldest wears. ;) Awesome job on capturing the fireworks! Those are always so hard to get a picture of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassidy! Ha, he loves it too!

      Actually Chris took the fireworks pictures... I spent so much time adjusting the camera settings before the fireworks started that by the time they did I was worn out and I just asked him to take them. I like the way they turned out, too! :)

      Delete