Monday, July 22, 2013

Life lately.

(Linking up with Blair at Wild & Precious!)

These days begin with two little boys crawling into bed with me, rubbing my cheek, kissing my face, pressing their foreheads against mine, and scratching my legs with their wiggly feet and ragged toenails. Morning seems to come too quickly. They're preceded by semi-late nights, laying in bed with my love while he plays Candy Crush Saga and I work out sudoku puzzles on my phone. The peace and quiet around us is intoxicating and it's hard to put an end to our fun for the sake of a good night's sleep. "Just one more puzzle," I tell myself, "Maybe I can beat my record."

But those morning kissers and leg scratchers come to find me in bed regardless of whether or not I went to bed at a good hour. I roll over sometimes, put a pillow over my head. I can't block out the day forever, though. Sippy cups have to be gathered, milk poured, coffee brewed. 

On a good day we might go to the park, or meet a new friend in our new city, or run errands in our car with the air conditioner pumping and the music thumping loudly in our ears. The boys are going to grow up thinking it's normal to ride around with their mother bouncing and head bopping in the driver's seat to music that's way too loud. If I'm lucky they'll love it as much as I do and we can be music maniacs together.


On a "bad" day, we might be home the majority of the day, feeling claustrophobic and watching too many kid shows on Netflix. I might be grumpy and short because I feel like a failure that I'm not doing a better job at motherhood. I might look longingly at people outside my realm of acquaintanceship and wish we could be friends. I might get discouraged that I don't have the option of doing anything fun because our paycheck ran out within the first week after getting it and there's barely any gas in the car.

But the only way to get through those days is to keep pressing ahead. Keep breathing, keep moving, keep praying, keep reaching out. A call to my mother helps me feel more balanced. I tell myself that even though life may feel cyclic at times, we are moving forward, settling in, and making progress. If I use my eyes of faith I can look towards the future with a lot more hope and expectancy.

I'm going to begin this week with a heart that is calm and a spirit that's expecting to see the Lord's goodness in my life.

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. 
Psalm 27:13-14 (NIV)

What about you, are you ready to lay hold of God's promises today and make this a good Monday no matter what? It may be hard to see now, but if you put your faith in God and trust his plan for your life, he has amazing things in store for you. You've never seen, heard, or even imagined the wonderful things he's prepared for you.

So when you think about your life today, remember that there is so much more to it than meets the eye. Look with your eyes of faith. Look through the lens of the promises that God has made to you, and for all those who love him. Look with expectancy. Write these words all over your fridge, your hands, your kid's faces, your floors, your dishes, whatever it takes:

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. 
Isaiah 40:28-31 (NIV)

18 comments:

  1. Awesome Hannah :) I love the simplicity and beauty of these photos. And I also love how you talk about the "bad days" It's good to know that behind the scenes of all the idyllic blog posts, other mothers have days where the tv is on and they too are wondering if they are doing anything right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gillian. I appreciate your support and empathy. :)

      Delete
  2. "On a "bad" day, we might be home the majority of the day, feeling claustrophobic and watching too many kid shows on Netflix. I might be grumpy and short because I feel like a failure that I'm not doing a better job at motherhood. I might look longingly at people outside my realm of acquaintanceship and wish we could be friends. I might get discouraged that I don't have the option of doing anything fun because our paycheck ran out within the first week after getting it and there's barely any gas in the car."

    That paragraph so gets me. Being a mommy is tough-- I always could be doing more. Love these photos and I think I'm going to take your advice and make this a good Monday. No matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I just moved to a new state and I'm trusting that this is where I need to be, even though I have nothing out here. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is something lovely for you there! Building a new life in a new place is hard, but sooo worth it for all the wonderful new opportunities and friendships that come eventually. Just hang in there!

      Delete
  4. Ah. I needed that verse today Hannah. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you so. And your words and honesty. And your oh so cute little men.

    ~l'me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honest & encouraging posts like these are why I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sweet, genuine little comments like this are why I so appreciate the fact that you read my blog.

      Delete
  7. How motivating! Some days you just need a little pick up. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beautiful Hannah! I play sudoku too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friendie. Do you play paper sudoku or phone sudoku?

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Hannah! I hope you've had a wonderful one. I was sitting here working on your scrapbook when all of a sudden I realized that I hadn't send you felicitations. Thanks for keeping all of us up on your life--we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie. I had a good birthday. :D I love you!!!

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful post!! And so encouraging, too. A wonderful reminder to cling to God's promises in ALL seasons, and all areas of life.

    Just found you from Courtney's blog, SO excited to meet you at Influence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Amy! It'll be so nice to meet you, too!

    ReplyDelete