Friday, March 22, 2013

Two.

Two years ago my second baby sped his way into the world. Our sweet friends brought us food, cupcakes and flowers, and everyone reveled at the unorthodox circumstances surrounding his birth. But I reveled the most. I was so thankful for my sweet, healthy, beautiful boy. He had strawberry blond fuzz and the dearest little face.

It was his birth that healed me from the fear and anxiety left by my first birth. After I had Duncan the thought of birth made me cry. After I had Phin I was talking about having another baby on our way home. That's what you call a trauma-free experience, folks. It was painful and hard, but I felt sublimely honored to be the person who got to welcome his little self into the world. 


Two years later and he's still as cuddly as can be. I took off the side of his crib earlier this week and he thought that meant every time he woke up during the night he could come and cuddle with me. It was hard to resist his snuggliness, but I had to put him back in his own bed if I wanted to get sleep. Since then he just climbs into bed with me in the morning and curls up beside me with his head on my chest. After he's settled in he asks me politely for a hair to suck on, "Beesh, hair?" 

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, this son of mine loves the texture of lint and hair in his mouth. Like, seriously seriously. I've never known another child like him. I can't make him an afghan for his bed because he would love nothing better than to soothe himself to sleep every night by picking bits of yarn fiber from his blanket and sucking on them. I'm hoping he grows out of this....?

Cute things about him now:
He walks like a bowlegged cowboy when he has a dirty diaper.
He's a mama's boy. But he will snuggle with grandpa if I'm busy and he's in a pinch.
He says I belong to him.
He does a great thumb-sucking monster impersonation.
He loves making angry faces when I point my camera phone at him.
He demands foot rubs, sometimes first thing after he wakes up.
He steals drinks from my coffee when I leave the room.


Happy birthday, squishy cakes! I'm crazy in love with you.

13 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Steve Finnell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (hahaha at the above comment), this is absolutely adorable! I can only imagine how fast this has flown by for you - I think about that a lot when I stare at my sweet boy. Who, right now, also loves to suck on my hair and his crotched blankets. haha. What precious gifts they are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassidy! It definitely went by faster with him than with D. :) They really are preciousness.

      Delete
  4. He is so sweet. That top newborn picture; be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That basket picture is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Newborns are so great about not minding being laid in weird places without any clothes on. ;)

      Delete
  6. awwww happy birthday little guy. you are too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday, #2 Child! He's such a Young! #1 may be a Rice, but #2 looks like his cousins on this side to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I was looking at baby pictures yesterday and I found his resemblance in 3 Young baby faces, including one of your sons. :-P

      Delete
  8. Btw, I admire your basket picture of him. I tried to get one like that of Cherish when she was a newbie, and I ended up with a pic of a screaming baby in a basket. I think baskets are kind of scratchy. Putting him in there sleeping was a good idea. I did get a good one of Cherish in a cabbage, and in a fish bowl. i console myself with that.

    ReplyDelete