Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Makin' Bread


I've started making my own bread again. I had to eat all the bread in the house first and then beg for encouragement, but I did it! I'm so very pleased. I hardly mind the fact that it's white, non-organic, and made in the bread machine. I'm just glad that I can name and pronounce all the ingredients in it, and that we can eat it warm and fresh.


The weather around here has been super cold, so we're not doing much of anything besides making bread. We sit around and watch cheesy kid movies with an occasional documentary thrown in. Documentaries have to be watched in moderation because they call for some course of action. The latest one we watched made me want to make my own shampoo. True story. I might have to go "no 'poo" until I make and freeze enough bread for the next year. Measuring ingredients to throw into a bread maker is so exhausting and time consuming, there's no time left for homemade shampoo and other personal care products.

Just kidding. The real reason why I can't make my own beauty products is because I don't have the ingredients.  I would be a lot crunchier if I could afford it, y'all. Right now I can only afford the free crunchy things, like extended breastfeeding and cloth diapering. Some day I'll be the self-sufficient pioneer woman I want to be... we'll live in the forest and whittle a house for ourselves out of twigs. Every meal will be moringa leaves, bran, and apple cider vinegar. We'll be so busy tending to our goats and herbs that we won't have time to watch stupid movies. Until then... here we are on the couch, dreaming of homemade beauty products. At least I am. My men nod and smile, but they might not be. Their loss.

9 comments:

  1. We've been making our own bread lately, too, and even though it takes a little effort, it is sooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Heather! It is fun, isn't it? Definitely worth it.

      Delete
    2. My friend makes bread and she also has started making her own kambucha

      Delete
  2. Your bread photos look so nice! Girl...go no poo...you will love it. I haven't bought shampoo or conditioner since July. It's baking soda and apple cider vinegar...and it lasts forever! I only have to wash my hair twice a week now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Rachael! I read somewhere that if you have hard water it might not work to go no poo, though. Is that true? What's yer water like?

      Delete
  3. Wow!!!Nice job Schmo! Man, I wish I could butter me up one of those slices! It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could, too! Then we could all play spades together and my dad can tell you to stop making him lose. ;)

      Delete
  4. So I was just telling my husband last night that I want to attempt homemade bread-making sometime this year. Thanks for the inspiration to get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Bri! Well, if you have a bread maker it's the EASIEST thing in the world. Go for it!!! And if you don't, I still believe in you. You can do it!! :)

      Delete