Sunday, April 22, 2012

Typical Day

7:25. My alarm goes off. Wait, alarm? Since when do I set an alarm? Since Fink has been sleeping through the night more consistently and I don't feel like a sleep orphan. Today was the day I was going to try to get up at least half an hour earlier than the boys so I could have my quiet time. But whadaya know, Fink didn't do so well last night. I turn the alarm off and go back to sleep. My quiet time will have to wait.


9:00. The boys wake up and I groggily go and gather them. Finkle nurses and then we all go into the kitchen to find food to put in our mouths. Getting up in the morning is not my favorite. As soon as I can I give the boys their food, make my coffee and peanut butter toast, and head for the couch. I do like this part about mornings. The bread I made is dense and chewy, but we eat it anyway. The boys play amidst a pile of books on the floor in their red sleepers. Dootle sits in front of Finkle and screams in his face. Finkle pulls his hair. Dootle falls back on the floor and tries to pull Finkle into an embrace on the floor, which causes Finkle to protest. I intervene. I get on the computer for a few minutes looking for something interesting and then we all head to the back bedroom area.


Our bedroom has been in upheaval for days. We're creating a space in our big walk-in closet for Chris to have a work area. That meant we had to pull everything out of the closet, organize, downsize, and try to come up with alternate storage areas. A lot of stuff is going back into the closet, but not until it's painted. Everything gets done in small segments when we have free time. Chris put carpet squares down on Sunday, and today I'm sanding the walls and filling more holes with spackle. It won't be picture perfect, but it will be at least pleasant when we're all done.


10:45. Finkle is ready for his first nap. I set up the pack-n-play in the guest room away from all the commotion in the back room. He's usually terrible about sleeping in new places, but he only fusses a little and then goes to sleep. I go back to the closet and work while Dootle plays at lining up pieces of styrofoam he bit into small chunks. I want to paint the ceiling, but instead Dootle and I spend a good deal of time in the bathroom while he has his first potty training lesson. I haven't wanted to start before now because he barely seems to notice when his diaper is dirty, but we got our potty out of storage.. so I figured, why not give it a go? We sat in the bathroom together, him on his potty, me on mine with the lid closed. We read some books, and I actually had my quiet time (it usually feels impossible when either of the boys is up). I also had time to start crocheting a hat, remarkably. We went back and forth from potty to back room doing little projects and he peed a total of four times. I wondered if I should really be doing this right now with renovating and trips on the horizon.. hm.

We finish up potty time. Dootle gets a light lunch. (Not the one bellow, that one's miiiine.)

 2:15. I lay Dootle down and get Finkle up. I make food and I eat at the barstool while he crawls around exploring and looking for fun. I use my smart phone to try and figure out why my bread didn't rise. We finish eating and head to the back yard. I really want to try out our new reel mower. I put Finkle down and head for the shed and pull out the mower. It's fairly easy to push, but it doesn't chop down the long grass seed stalks. I spend a long time pushing it around the yard at high and low settings, sometimes walking and sometimes running. It makes a cute crunching sound when it cuts the grass, and I keep looking over at Finkle to see him staring at me while I work. He’s enthralled with the whole thing, and probably wondering what in the world I’m doing. He moves from toy to toy, all the while keeping an eye on me to see if anything interesting happens.


I love it that I would’ve been able to hear the monitor while I mowed. I love it that I'm not making Fink deaf. I love it that I'm not polluting. I would love it more if this awesome mower cut all.. the stinking.. grass.

But hey, that’s ok. I'm getting some good cardio, and I can feel the burn in my arms after a while. I start to break a sweat and pause for breaks. You know how I talk about how I hate exercise for the sake of exercise? Well, this is right up my alley. Exercise for a necessary cause.


After I’ve had my fill I put the mower back in the shed and head inside. The yard looks like a dog with mange. I’ll tackle it again when I have more energy. I really just wish we had a goat. She could eat our grass and offer Finkle her milky udders when he wakes up during the night. I could shave her and spin her hair for yarn, and all of my problems would be solved.

4:15. I lay Finkle down for another nap and grab a cup of watered down juice. I'm exhausted. I turn the computer on and start typing this. As if on cue, whimpers come from the direction of the nursery. Now I need a nap. I go into Dootle's room and he's sitting up in bed, whining. "I need help." he says, as he tries to pull his heavy feather comforter into the bed with him. I help him cover himself with it and he lays back down. I walk away on the slight chance that he won't start crying again and just lay peacefully. Surprisingly, he lays in bed for another 20 minutes while I write.

5:34. I realize I should probably start getting ready for small group. I change my clothes and as I’m fixing my face, Chris drives up. We get the boys ready and head out for what turns out to be a low-key, pleasant dinner. Yay for friends.


9:00. We get home. The messy bedroom makes me feel discombobulated. I leave Finkle on the bed with Dootle and he falls off straight on his face. Big lump on the forehead. I feel terrible. Everything feels extremely stressful until the boys are in bed and I can just be. I work on my Etsy and write some more.

11:08. Time to go be with hubby pie. He’s cleaning the inside of a keyboard he bought offline; it has weed resin all over it and inside of it, strangely. You just don’t know about craig’s list buys. He’s really caught up in getting it cleaned up, and I’m wilting by the second. Finally I head back to the messy bedroom and fall asleep. I haven’t been asleep for long when Chris comes back, but I only wake up halfway when he climbs into bed with me. I look over at him and try to figure out who he is. Do I know this person? I’m looking right at his face, but it’s dimly lit and I just can’t figure it out. He sure is confident about wrapping his arm around me, whoever he is. Even though I’m uncomfortable laying in bed with a stranger, I manage to go back to sleep.

14 comments:

  1. heheh.

    "I really just wish we had a goat. She could eat our grass and offer Phineas her milky udders when he wakes up during the night. I could shave her and spin her hair for yarn, and all of my problems would be solved."

    "Even though I’m uncomfortable laying in bed with a stranger, I manage to go back to sleep."

    you're so funny, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so fuuuuuuun. :) I like looking at your picture on my bulletin board.

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to hang out with you on these wonderful "typical days!" How is Duncan doing with potty training? Zadok just started potty training and I think he's getting the hang of it pretty well. We'll have to swap potty training stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's impressive! I decided to wait until after our trip to Indiana and we've finished all the remodelingish stuff, just so I have the time to actually do it and all. But definitely tell me your stories! Have you read any books or anything? I started not knowing a single thing. Still kinda dont'. :P

      Delete
    2. Yeah, waiting until there's routine and stability to your schedule to start potty training is definitely a wise choice! I didn't read any books but I did look up some tips on potty training early on the internet, since all the other kids I've potty trained were at least 6 months to a year older than Zadok is. A friend of mine recommended a book called Potty Training in One Day. She said it worked like a charm with her little girl and she got the book from the library. Zadok is a little too young for the one day thing but he's still (mostly) doing terrific. I don't know that much about potty training, but I think one of the most important things is to emphasize and praise the positive and never punish the accidents. Keeping it a pleasant experience for mother and child is very key. :D

      Delete
  3. exercise simply for the sake of exercise is horrid for me as well. i don't mind that i get it in good supply at my job, though.
    i'm glad you posted this. hopefully i'll read a section on one of your atypical days soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was just thinking about what a beast I used to be when I had to wash windows all day. I think the more kids I have the better shape I'll have to be in just to keep up with them, and all the home life trimmings. Hah. I'm glad you're getting exercise at your job. Something about that just seems so.... right.

      Delete
  4. Schmo...I love it! I would like to have some of your days some times. love u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like having my days some days, too. Haha. Love you! You were in my dream last night.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention that your pictures are super dooper...your bread looks perfect, although the expression on Duncan's face as he's about to eat might cause the reader to wonder if it's his fave.
    I love your new eco-friendly lawnmower. And your taste. in everything.
    gotta run....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. Yeah, is was um.. chewy. But the boys didn't complain. I mean, they're not very good at talking in general so it's no wonder they didn't insult my bread. But still.

      I love you!

      Delete
  6. yay! you are back and blogging and i get to read about your life :) you're my heroooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your day. :)

    ReplyDelete